Thursday, September 25, 2008

Paul Gauguin The Yellow Christ painting

Paul Gauguin The Yellow Christ paintingPaul Gauguin The Vision After the Sermon paintingPaul Gauguin The Siesta painting
You know you’re a frightfully difficult man. I don’t know why I like you.”
“I know why I like you. Because you are so extremely easy.”
“Coming to the library?”
“I suppose so.”
When the library was open a prefect sat there entering in a ledger the books which boys took out. Charles as usual made his way to the case where the Art books were kept but before he had time to settle down, as he liked to do, he was accosted by Curtis-Dunne, the old new boy of last term in Brent’s. “Don’t you think it scandalous,” he said, “that on one of the few days of the week when we have the chance to use the library, we should have to kick our heels waiting until some semi-literate prefect chooses to turn up and take us in? I’ve taken the matter up with the good Frank.”
“Oh, and what did he say to that?”
“We’re trying to work out a scheme by which library privileges can be extended to those who seriously want them, people like you and me and I suppose the good Mercer.”
“I forget for the moment what form you are in.”
“Modern Upper. Please don’t think from that I am a scientist. It’s simply that in the Navy we had to drop Classics. My interests are entirely literary and political. And of course hedonistic.”

No comments: