Friday, September 5, 2008

Danae (detail)

Danae (detail)The Persistence of MemoryThe Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory
turning flunked again, like before! Let go Mrs. Anastasia, should marry George! I don't mind!"
Stoker replied, with a measure of his former energy, that Leonid had never had a mind to mind with, or he'd have walked out of prison long since instead of trying to get himself Shafted in Max's place. As to divorcing his flunkèd wife --
"Not flunkèd!" Leonid shouted. "Is Passessness!"
"Be durn if she is!" Greene shouted back.
"Who cares?" Max cried. "Fail is pass, altogether!"
Croaker set up a clamor next door, prompted either by the argument or by sight of my stick, which he snatched from Stoker's hand and examined with a deal of lick and jabber. I let them all shout on, attending their debate but not joining it, and measured their several stances against the Answer until I'd found what I sought and done what I desired. From the bottom of my purse -- under Sakhyan's phial, the shophar, my damaged watch, the pocket-torch, and my partly chewed Assignment -- I fished forth my ID-card, wrongly signed, and from my jail-coat the bottle of Classmate X's all-round eradicator, snatched from Leonid in the nick of time. A few drops were undrunk; I poured them on the card.
"Argue while you can," Stoker said to Greene and Leonid, as if casually. "Two halfwits make a whole wit. Pity we can't Shaft the lot of you tomorrow, instead

No comments: