Saturday, October 4, 2008

Edward Hopper Summer Interior painting

Edward Hopper Summer Interior paintingEdward Hopper Sailing paintingEdward Hopper Ryder's House painting
That’s exactly what Rex wanted to know. I suppose because I thought it was true. Not literally - though you must remember I was only twenty, and no one really knows the “facts of life” by being told them - but, of course, I didn’t mean it was true literally. I didn’t know how else to express it. I meant I was much too deep with Rex just to be able to say “the marriage arranged will not now take place”, and leave it at that. I wanted to be made an honest woman. I’ve been wanting it ever since come to think of it.’ ‘And then?’
‘And then the talks went on and on. Poor mummy. And priests came into it and aunts came into it. There were all kinds of suggestions - that Rex should go to Canada, that Father Mowbray should go to Rome and see if there were any possible grounds for an annulment; that I should go abroad for a year. In the middle of it Rex just telegraphed to papa: “Julia and I prefer wedding

No comments: